Institutional Abuse of our U.S. Sailors
They took an oath to serve and to endure hardship. They did not sign up for institutional abuse. Unless it has changed, deployment rotations are generally six months aboard ship and six months home with family.
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cyvl2d5j52lo
I went to Ghana, W. Africa with the USNR one month after 9/11. We entered under a science and technology treaty. I was part of the main body and spent seventeen days in Africa.
The debriefing among officers at Fleet Hospital Dallas HQ was quite pithy. There was one issue which was addressed which had to do with troop welfare on the ground. And I have never forgotten one statement by a senior officer:
A morale problem is a leadership problem.
The Pentagon has a leadership problem which must be addressed. And when the ship returns to port, it will be interesting to see how many sailors will enlist again when their enlistment is up.
Tammy Swofford
Comments
Post a Comment