My Great Uneasiness with the Use of Shock Gloves
"First they came for the Jew...."
https://apnews.com/article/ice-electric-shock-gloves-85ff746d3e0ee5f39e7a9a3f1f576252
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2026/aug/11/ice-electric-shock-gloves
Not only do I have great uneasiness, I oppose the use of shock gloves to bring an individual into compliance with law enforcement. I foresee shock gloves replacing adequate training.
Does this seem like a bee sting to you? I have been stung by a wasp (probably worse than a bee sting) and kept mowing the lawn. I did not drop to my knees nor shout in pain.
I believe this is a civil rights issue and has legal merit for consideration. This needs to move rapidly through the courts and we need to get ahead of the technology.
Individuals may suffer from underlying heart disease or neuro-conductive disorders. Beyond that, I consider it a form of torture. I have always and will always oppose torture of another human being.
Several years ago I cared for a woman who had twin sons who were dealing drugs. The family lived in an affluent part of the city. The parents were unaware of this particular income stream being generated by their progeny. SWAT entered their home and placed a gun to her head and a gun to the head of her husband. She never recovered from the terror of that moment. I would imagine being on the receiving end of a nasty shock might provoke the same emotional response.
I believe that giving an electrical shock to another human being is very Hannibal Lecter and introduction of sadism has no place among those who have taken an oath. Look up David Parker Ray, the Toy Box killer. His use of electrical shock is in context with torture. These new "toys" for ICE should never leave the box. This is an incredibly stupid idea.
Have I made myself clear?
I do have one recommendation. Each time an oath keeper uses the gloves, I believe that when they file their report regarding usage that they should also undergo the same intensity and duration of shock as a reminder of their own frail humanity.
We should not normalize sadism in the name of law enforcement. Not for any reason.
Tammy Swofford, R.N. BSN
Comments
Post a Comment