Shock Gloves: A Human Propensity for Evil
When I read this link, my first thought is that our human propensity for evil has no ground floor. We just buy a shovel and keep digging.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2026/aug/22/omaha-nebraska-school-district-shock-gloves-police
Marketing shock gloves is all about profit margins. And apparently, shock gloves are being marketed to low I.Q. ISD board members who somehow imagine this a great idea.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2026/aug/22/omaha-nebraska-school-district-shock-gloves-police
I believe that shock gloves have no place on American soil. Not in kits belonging to ICE, not available for military use, not our prisons, mental institutions, and certainly not in our schools. What will it be next? Skilled nursing facilities?
Let me allow you bedside with me in the ICU to make a point:
Early in my career I made a choice to work within the most intensive environments offered in acute care facilities. I spent several years working in a Neuro ICU where the care revolved around high C-spine injuries and individuals with deep brain trauma. I would literally greet a helicopter to accept individuals flown in from a five state region.
One day, a medical resident walked into the room as I was caring for a comatose woman. I watched as he pulled down her gown. Grasping a nipple between his thumb and forefinger, he twisted and pinched it in (vile) manner. This might have been the day I learned how to curse proficiently. "What the Hell do you think you are doing?" He informed me he was "checking her response" to painful stimuli. I felt an overwhelming desire to reach down his britches and torque his testicles hard enough to give him a taste of his own medicine. But since I am a southern lady, I merely told him off and reported him to administration. (To tell the truth, I needed a paycheck. smile)
Take a moment and reflect. What - on so many levels - is not o.k. about what happened in that room?
Take a moment and reflect. What - on so many levels - is morally wrong with "shock gloves"?
I find it interesting that if I should choose to use shock gloves on my child for compliance in the home, the police will make an appearance and Child Protective Services will remove my children from under my care. But if the same device is used on your child at school - the campus policeman will be cast as a hero. That campus officer may be poorly trained, or that officer might just be a hired chimpanzee with a funny little hat. But he has a glove for your kid, damn it.
Prisons? What is to keep that random guard from using shock gloves to drop a woman to her knees or to bend her over? For good measure, to threaten additional shocks if she tattles?
I am not opposed to use of Tasers in sparing manner if used in public to bring difficult suspects into custody, no differently than I always support our use of K9 officers for the protection of our bipedal officers. Bodycam footage will be available for appropriateness of use in both cases.
I stated in a prior blog that each time a shock glove is used against an American, the one delivering the shock should then undergo the same level of shock with the same intensity and time element. Power dispersed must also be power handled, to understand it properly. Technology is rapidly surpassing our boundaries for morality. And technology is outpacing any suite of laws which seeks to protect the citizens or guests on our soil. This technology is dangerous.
Hopefully, the investors for what is clearly a low-grade torture device will lose their shirts, shoes and socks. And then, may they find their feet placed in a puddle of water to receive a shocking "Goodbye, you freakin' sadist!"
swoffordwrites@gmail.com
Comments
Post a Comment