"Some Girls..."
I found this bit of news interesting, because of what was read years ago in the second link, a recounting of time spent in the harem of the Sultan's brother.
https://www.dailymail.com/news/royals/article-16049417/Controversial-leader-Sultan-Brunei-advocated-death-penalty-stoning-homosexuality-adultery-strips-daughter-law-royal-titles-showing-lack-respect-him.html
https://literarylotus.com/2010/06/09/book-review-some-girls-former-harem-girl-tells-all/
The selection above is not my usual reading, but allowing a small peek into my library today comes with a recommendation that you consider the following selections:
The Yacoubian Building" is an excellent selection and richly textured. The film is equally lovely. Recommended.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425321/
If you are not acquainted with Noble prize winner, Naguib Mahfouz, and his three novels which are collapsed into a more simple title, "The Cairo Trilogy" - it is excellent. The first two novels present their characters very strongly. I felt like I was in the room with the women. I found the third novel, "Sugar Street" a product which showed the author was suffering a bit of writer's fatigue. But of course - I read the complete set.
All who know me understand my love for the Muslim people in my community, with a special place in my heart for the women and girls. They live on what I call "Planet Man". It is a man's world. They are allowed small orbits, but in no manner do they enjoy the immense rights which my female ancestors fought for, so that today - American women are free; comfortable in their own skins; charting their own course.
Societies are the healthiest when adult women are given their complete freedom.
Freedom. It is a beautiful thing!
Comments
Post a Comment